Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2014-04-02)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 2 17:27:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 05:19:13PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 04/02/2014 05:15 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >#topic #1244 F21 System Wide Change: cron to systemd time units -
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/cron-to-systemd-time-units
> Why is this being added to the meeting agenda?

Because https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1244#comment:14

  Talked with Jóhann on IRC. He thinks it would be best if FESCo sent a
  complete policy recommendation to FPC. The specific proposal is:

   *  All packages with timed execution which already depend on systemd (for
   example because they contain service units) MUST use timer units instead of
   cron jobs, with no dependency on a cron daemon.
   *  Packages which do not already depend on systemd MUST NOT use timer units
   and instead use cron, to avoid introducing unnecessary new dependencies on
   systemd directly.

   I recommend we vote on this in-ticket for expediency, and resolve at the
   next FESCo meeting if there are not enough votes to pass before then.

   (Note that this isn't in any way rescinding the approval of the feature
   overall, just clarifying the intended policy.)

And there are only two votes in the ticket.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"