[CHANGE PROPOSAL] The securetty file is empty by default

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 18:12:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 09:12 -0700, quickbooks office wrote:
> [CHANGE PROPOSAL] The securetty file is empty by default
>
> All the info has been sitting here @
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/securetty_file_is_empty_by_default
> since March 20th.
>
> Did I mess something up? Or is there just a backlog?
> --

How does someone express strong disagreement to this change ?

I often install machines with root only as my users are all in my
FreeIPA/LDAP server and I expect to be able to login as root on the
console for maintenance purposes.

This change makes it very hard to do necessary maintenance. I can
understand blocking SSH login as root with password by default, but I do
not understand what is the point of blocking console login as root.

Please explain the logic of blocking console logins but allowing SSH
logins, it is completely backwards.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York