F21 System Wide Change: lbzip2 as default bzip2 implementation

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 18:18:22 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 08:03 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change:  lbzip2 as default bzip2 implementation =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/lbzip2
>>
>> Change owner(s): Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com>
>>
>> This change aims at making lbzip2 [1] default bzip2 implementation used in
>> Fedora.
>>
>> == Detailed Description ==
>> lbzip2 is an independent implementation of bzip2 compression tool. It provides
>> interface strictly compatible with bzip2, but also adds several new features
>> and improvements, such as:
>>
>> * multi-threaded operation for both compression and decompression, with almost
>> linear scalability,
>> * improved performance, even on single-core systems,
>> * improved extra utilities (bzdiff, bzless, bzip2recover, etc.),
>> * improved compatibility with gzip.
>>
>> lbzip2 is a mature project and it has been used in production for years. It is
>> already packaged for Fedora and it is also available in EPEL.
>
> A quick check shows lbzip2 doesn't provide a library interface, much less
> one compatible with libbz2. Is that ever intended?

That was once intended (in 2007-2010), but for now I decided to provide
bzip2-compatible commands only.  If there is demand I will reconsider
providing a library with bzip2-compatible API/ABI.

> If it's not, saying lbzip2 is the default bzip2 *implementation* may be a
> bit of a stretch. Perhaps s/implementation/command/.

You're right, the title and description may be ambiguous.  In this
sentence "bzip2" means bzip2 command.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat