F21 System Wide Change: lbzip2 as default bzip2 implementation

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 20:59:00 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 21:46, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
>>> ** possibly adjust spec files to require or build-require lbzip2 instead of
>>> bzip2.
>> Is this necessary? Wouldn't it be better to have lbzip2 Provide bzip2
>> or something so that updating all those packages is not necessary,
>> and also that people who prefer normal bzip2 can still use it?
>
> Why would people prefer it? If it is the same but slower?

Yes, if it's interface compatible then it's pretty nice. Multithreaded
compression is handy from time to time. Pity about no library
interface (lbzip2 might be an unfortunate name choice...),
particularly for things like perl and python. I suppose from the pov
of minimal systems it might be nice to not have to have both if you
need to fulfil both a bzip2 library requirement and a bzip2
requirement, but that's a very particular case for a few kB saving.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk