F21 System Wide Change: lbzip2 as default bzip2 implementation

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 2 21:29:18 UTC 2014

Hello Al,

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 5:14:53 PM, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, 4:27:55 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>>> ** possibly adjust spec files to require or build-require lbzip2 instead of
>>> bzip2.
>> Is this necessary? Wouldn't it be better to have lbzip2 Provide bzip2
>> or something so that updating all those packages is not necessary,
>> and also that people who prefer normal bzip2 can still use it?

It's  been  a long day. In my haste to reply, I wrote "libzip" where I
meant to say "lbzip2". The rest of my point remains unchanged.

By  the way, part of the reason for my slip is that while I have heard
of a "libzip" library, I have never heard of lbzip2 before. I've never
seen  it  come  up  with  web  searches related to the InfoZIP work to
support  bzip2  encoding.  I'm  going to post the original post and my
comments in the private InfoZIP development list, but I suspect I will
get responses that I am not the only person becoming aware of this new
tool.

Al