F21 System Wide Change: lbzip2 as default bzip2 implementation

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 02:26:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 08:47:11PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> I think the "right" way to move forward is to make a library that is at
> least API-compatible with the current libbz2.so.1, make all the tools
> use it, and just replace bzip2 with lbzip2.

Although I'm still on the fence about whether I'd vote for the Change as is,
I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Having two sets of code with different characteristics seems like
isomething of a disservice to users (I started bzip'ing my logs and backups
because the performance was suitable for my task when I tested with
/usr/bin/bzip2 but then when I operated on those logs with a custom python
script it was 3x slower!)

From past precedent I agree that getting the new package to the point where
we think it's a suitable replacement and then just making the switch for the
next release makes the most sense.

-Toshio