Packaging of libdb-6+

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 13:53:04 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 11:20 AM, H. Guémar wrote:
> Since AGPL is fedora-compliant license, there's no blocker to get
> libdb6 into packages collection.
> Besides, libdb5 is still critical for many packages (like RM), until
> we get rid of it, I can only agree with your proposal.
>
> Maybe, it's still time to rename the current libdb => libdb5 and get
> newer releases named libdb starting F21

This would be possible only by co-operation with the depended packages,
since they usually use "BuildRequire: libdb-devel". So after just
rebuilding those to link against libdb-6, some of the packages would
start to suffer from license incompatibilities. But I agree that
libdb-6.x + libdb5-5.x scenario looks better than libdb-5.x + libdb6-6.x.

Anyway, to make some marketing for this change, we should have a Self
contained change page for this [1]. Change Proposals Submission Deadline
is 2014-04-08 btw.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy#Self_contained_changes

Honza