[CHANGE PROPOSAL] The securetty file is empty by default

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 14:36:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 07:32 -0700, quickbooks office wrote:
> This change will not affect logging into the console using the local
> account and then doing su to get root privileges.

What "local" account ?

> Is there a problem with logging into the local user account and then
> typing su and the root password?

Yes, in most installation I do not have any "local" user, I have only
users coming via LDAP, and if the problem I need to solve is that the
LDAP part of the equation is broken I have no user to log in if root is
disabled.

> You are as such prompted to make a local user account when doing an
> install from the Live CD.

Which is not the only mean of installing, nor the main mean for me (I
never used the LiveCD for installing).

You are clearly making assumptions that do not hold for the general
case.

Simo.