Reinstalling the bootloader

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Fri Apr 4 02:44:00 UTC 2014

On Apr 3, 2014 7:18 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 04.04.2014 03:08, schrieb Andrew Lutomirski:
> > Once upon a time (Fedora 15? -- I've lost track), it was possible to reinstall the bootloader using grub-install.
>
> besides that it is the wrong list:

What's the right list?

> grub2-install

$ grub2-install
/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.
Check your device.map.

This is with efi.  WTF is a GRUB drive?  Will this set up the boot
menu in anything resembling a sensible manner?  (I doubt it, since I
don't consider having kernel entries listed in the ESP to be sensible,
but that's a separate issue.)  Will it set up EFI boot manager
entries?  Is the efibootmgr program usable by mortals?

For non-EFI, I have to do some i386-pc crap.  At least I think I have
some idea how that's supposed to work.

FWIW, the last time I got grub2-mkconfig to work, it generated a
config that, strictly speaking, functioned, but it spewed warnings
every time I booted.  That was a while ago.

> > Nowadays it's a clusterfsck.  I've managed to screw up my bootloader.  Is there a way to reinstall it without
> > reinstalling the world?  Would it make sense to split the whole bootloader thing out of Anaconda such that it would
> > be possible to re-run it?  I can access my install just fine using chroot.
> >
> > FWIW, the same question applies to upgrading the bootloader.  Somehow I'm on Fedora 20 using grub 0.97
>
> how comes? grub2 took over with F16 or F17

Upgrades.

--Andy