F21 System Wide Change: RPM-4.12

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Apr 4 08:20:20 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 04:54 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> On 04/02/2014 07:47 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> * Support for weak dependencies
>
> Does this mean that rpm-build will be able to create packages with weak
> dependencies?

Yes.

> Will Fedora packages be allowed to declare weak
> dependencies?

That's up to Fedora.

> Is dependency generator interface going to be extended so
> that we can generate auto-recommends and auto-suggests for packages?

Good point, there's (probably) no reason why it shouldn't be possible to
generate weak dependencies automatically.

>> * Support for packaging files > 4GB
>> * Support for real package reinstallation
>> * New API for accessing files and file contents
>> * New tool for converting rpm packages to tar files
>> * Internal plugin interface
>
> Are there any details abuout this interface available somewhere?  Will
> packages be able to provide plugins, like for example they can install
> RPM macros now?

The answer to both is: eventually. For now, the plugin interface is
internal only, as in "plugins need to live in rpm source tree". This is
to allow making changes to the interface while we gather real-world
experience with the plugin system.

	- Panu -