Considering GNOME 3.12 as an F20 update

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 15:55:08 UTC 2014

On 04/04/2014 05:40 PM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> First after the upgrade I didn't even boot to GDM. Too bad I didn't
> debug it because I had already been considering a clean install, so I
> did it right away. My setup was not typical, I had been upgrading since
> F15. But apparently I was not the only one. One guy on the forum
> complained about a very similar problem. He blames i686 packages and
> their dependencies which might have been my problem as well because due
> to Steam I also had a lot from the graphics stack installed in i686
> versions.

I had the same problem. It turned out I was missing the glib2 package
update from the COPR. The reason was that I had both glib2.x86_64 and
glib2.i686 installed, but I only enabled the x86_64 COPR. dnf silently
skipped updating the package due to this problem.

Gnome shell was crashing with:
gnome-session[1722]: (gnome-shell:1876): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Error: No property 'gi' in importer (or its value was undefined)
gnome-session[1722]: _init at resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/overrides/GLib.js:258
gnome-session[1722]: @resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/environment.js:3
gnome-session[1722]: @<main>:1
gnome-session[1722]: gnome-session[1722]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-shell.desktop' killed by signal 11

Perhaps a versioned dependency on glib2 would be worth adding somewhere,
but anyway I would not see this problem if this were a normal Fedora update,
because then I'd get the package for both archs.

Michal