Considering GNOME 3.12 as an F20 update

Pavel Lisý pavel.lisy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 09:37:51 UTC 2014

Matthias Clasen píše v Čt 03. 04. 2014 v 10:20 -0400:
> Hey,
>
> so the time has come to consider this - thanks to the great work of
> Richard and Kalev on the copr, we have a set of 3.12 packages that have
> already received fairly wide testing.
>
> But we should be careful, so I want to ask for concrete problem reports
> with the copr packages, besides dependency problems caused by the
> parallel nature of the copr itself.
>
> Did any of your gnome-shell extensions break ?
>
> Did you experience crashes or other serious problems with applications ?

I had really bed experience on my laptop (Lenovo X201, Intel graphics).
At first I've got to dependency loop with yum.

I had some other DM (cinnamon, xfce, kde plasma) and some extra
repositories (for flash-plugin, skype, ...):

[adobe-linux-x86_64]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/x86_64/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

[fedora-skype]
name=Skype for Fedora
baseurl=http://negativo17.org/repos/skype/fedora-$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgkey=http://negativo17.org/repos/RPM-GPG-KEY-slaanesh
gpgcheck=1

[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

and
rpmfusion-free.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree.repo

something wanted packages from gnome 3.10.
I've suspected cinnamon firstly but I couldn't prove that.

In Fedora 20 is no way how to uninstall yum groups anymore so I've tried
uninstall them manually with no success to dependency problem.

Than I've read rhudges comment he use dnf instead of you to update.

Update worked but after reboot I've ended in black GDM screen.
After startx from text console I've got:
„Oh no! Something has gone wrong.“ and only window of Pidgin and button
"Log Out“ were visible.

Than I've found several packages not replaced with newer from
rhughes-f20-gnome-3-12, which I did manually than but with no positive
result to functionality.

I've tried replace my homedir with empty one but with the same result.
I didn't find reason and had to reinstall laptop.

After brand new installation of F20 update to gnome 3.12 worked even
with yum with no problem and everything seam to work fine.

This is my story

Pavel

--
Pavel Lisý <pavel.lisy at gmail.com>