Reinstalling the bootloader

Fred New fred.new2911 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 04:16:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 20:20 -0400, Corey Sheldon wrote:
> > its now grub2-install /dev/sdX
>
> It's not for UEFI.
> --

It would be good if someone who knows something could rewrite the GRUB_2
wiki page to
say that. And to stop referring to a release of Fedora that is no longer
supported.  The
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface wiki page is rather outdated and
unhelpful as well.
Surprisingly, the best information I could find about efibootmgr is in a
page that is
actually about Fedup.

Here's what I've discovered:

If you have UEFI and you have run grub2-install, you need to un-do that by
re-installing
grub2-efi:

yum reinstall grub2-efi

And since Windows on my system places itself first in the EFI boot list
every time it
is booted, you need to run

efibootmgr -v   # (to learn Fedora's boot number)
efibootmgr -o <boot#1>,<boot#2>,...  # (to choose which system you want to
boot by default)

If you want to see how Anaconda originally ran efibootmgr, you can look at
/var/log/anaconda/anaconda.program.log

Fred