Reinstalling the bootloader

Fred New fred.new2911 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:19:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 07:16 +0300, Fred New wrote:
>
> > The
> > Unified Extensible Firmware Interface wiki page is rather outdated and
> > unhelpful as well.
>
> In what way? I wrote it, just a month or two ago. I'm not aware of
> anything in it which is outdated.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought this one also referred to Fedora 18. The main
problem
I had was the UEFI boot order problem mentioned below. This page doesn't
tell
me how to use efibootmgr to fix that.

> > If you have UEFI and you have run grub2-install, you need to un-do that
> by
> > re-installing
> > grub2-efi:
> >
> > yum reinstall grub2-efi
>
> That won't 'undo' anything. The grub2-efi package doesn't actually have
> any scripts, so reinstalling it doesn't really do anything much.

Well in my case, reinstalling grub2-efi caused GRUB2 to stop reading the
configuration file from /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and to start reading from
/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg again. I didn't have to re-run grub2-mkconfig
because the configuration file was already built during the last kernel
update. I haven't tried booting Windows from my GRUB menu since this
fix, but I suspect it will work again, too. With the grub2-install GRUB, it
couldn't find Windows because it wasn't looking in the EFI partition.

> > And since Windows on my system places itself first in the EFI boot list
> > every time it
> > is booted,
>
> That's likely an issue in your system's firmware or Windows install
> (somehow). It shouldn't be doing that.

Yes, it seems that any time I touch my firmware configuration ("BIOS
settings") or interrupt the boot sequence to boot Windows (after I've
managed to put Fedora first), the boot order resets to Windows first.
It may not be Windows doing it. I cannot move Fedora to the top of
the list using the "BIOS settings", I need to use efibootmgr for that.
(HP Envy 17-j007eo)

Fred