Reinstalling the bootloader

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 15:14:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 10:54 +0200, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2014, at 9:19 AM, Fred New <fred.new2911 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In what way? I wrote it, just a month or two ago. I'm not aware of
> >> anything in it which is outdated.
> >>
> > Sorry, my mistake. I thought this one also referred to Fedora 18.
>
> It does. And for UEFI it's the same since Fedora 18.
>
> a. Anything after grub2-install is ignored because the target must be
> mounted, typically that's at /boot/efi.
>
> b. If you actually use grub2-install and overwrite the existing
> grubx64.efi on the EFI System partition, it breaks UEFI Secure Boot
> computers ability to boot Fedora because the resulting bootloader will
> not be signed.
>
> c. Even if you don't use Secure Boot, the custom created grubx64.efi
> (core.img) is sufficiently different in behavior from the prebaked
> grubx64.efi that you may want to pull your hair out anyway.
>
> So everyone just needs to stop recommending reinstalling grub this
> way.

I don't think anyone has actually explicitly recommended doing so for
UEFI; I just think the people who've mentioned it haven't understood
UEFI at all and are just parroting the 'standard' advice for
'reinstalling grub'.

Thanks for the mail, though, because I didn't actually know what
grub2-install *does* on UEFI, only that it's not necessary. :P
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey