F21 Self Contained Change: Playground repository

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 8 18:23:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 18:34:06 +0200
Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:

> There are other packages hard to package properly, which could rotten
> in Package Reviews. Mostly it's about bundling, but there is also
> stuff like Chromium.

So, I need to fully read the change before making more comments, but I
thought I would mention Chromium since it seems to come up a lot.

Yes, it has a number of bundled things that cannot be easily unbundled.

However, earlier this year it also started using another, as far as I
know locally created buildsystem. "GN" at first was not buildable from
source at all. However, it seems that they have improved this and you
can now build it from source on x86_64 (only).

So, aside the bundling, chromium has other issues. Would a package that
doesn't build from source be allowed in the playground repo? (ie, uses
downloaded GN binaries to build)

kevin