F21 Self Contained Change: Playground repository

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:46:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Playground repository =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Playground_repository
>
> Change owner(s): Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com>,  Mirek Suchý
> <msuchy at redhat.com>
> Responsible WG: Env and Stacks WG
>
> The Playground repository gives contributors a place to host packages that are
> not up to the standards of the main Fedora repository but may still be useful
> to other users. For now the Playground repository contains both packages that
> are destined for eventual inclusion into the main Fedora repository and
> packages that are never going to make it there. Users of the repository should
> be willing to endure a certain amount of instability when using packages from
> there.
>
> To avoid any potential confusion, we want to make it clear that the Playground
> repository will not host packages that have bad licenses, include proprietary
> software or include patented software.

What's the point of this feature? I mean if we think we are to strict
we might want to rethink the guidelines.
And how is that different from other coprs repos where poeple already
can host that stuff on?
It even uses COPR (and thus shares the same problems like lack of
multilib and thus dependecy problems).

Is this going to be enabled by default? If yes how it is different
from just adding the packages in fedora proper if not
why is it a "feature" at all? It is just yet another external repo.