F21 Self Contained Change: Playground repository

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 9 00:21:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 13:04:54 -0400,
>   Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> Similarly, there are a great many useful Ruby libraries and
>> applications out there for which unbundling them would be an exercise
>> in futility. Ask yourself which is more important to most users:
>> 1) My OS is perfectly maintainable by engineers.
>> or
>> 2) My OS lets me install the software I need without hassle.
>

> This can result in more work when there are security events. One thing I was
> happy about with Fedora is that by updating openssl and restarting services
> I am pretty sure I have blocked that attack. Who is going to do the work
> searching for bundled libraries when similar events occur in the future?

Who is doing that work within Fedora today?  After the initial review,
there is no on-going audit of packages _within_ Fedora to make sure
they aren't bundling (or following guidelines at all).  That's not to
say that we have a massive problem.  It _is_ implying that maybe one
shouldn't blindly trust the guidelines to catch all of the potential
problems though.

josh