F21 Self Contained Change: Playground repository

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 06:57:52 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 10:46 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Playground repository =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Playground_repository
>>
>> Change owner(s): Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com>,  Mirek Suchý
>> <msuchy at redhat.com>
>> Responsible WG: Env and Stacks WG
>>
>> The Playground repository gives contributors a place to host packages that are
>> not up to the standards of the main Fedora repository but may still be useful
>> to other users. For now the Playground repository contains both packages that
>> are destined for eventual inclusion into the main Fedora repository and
>> packages that are never going to make it there. Users of the repository should
>> be willing to endure a certain amount of instability when using packages from
>> there.
>>
>> To avoid any potential confusion, we want to make it clear that the Playground
>> repository will not host packages that have bad licenses, include proprietary
>> software or include patented software.
>>

> What's the point of this feature? I mean if we think we are to strict
> we might want to rethink the guidelines.
> And how is that different from other coprs repos where poeple already
> can host that stuff on?
> It even uses COPR (and thus shares the same problems like lack of
> multilib and thus dependecy problems).
>
> Is this going to be enabled by default? If yes how it is different
> from just adding the packages in fedora proper if not
> why is it a "feature" at all? It is just yet another external repo.

No, it won't be enabled by default. All Coprs acceptable by Playground
will be on one place with at least some rules. On our yesterday meeting
we spoke to tflink about using taskotron at least for some general
tests. We have higher standards on packages going into Playground, but
not too high.

Marcela