trimming down Fedora installed size

Marius A marius1439 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 07:33:25 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I've been struggling keeping a fedora 20 install on a "small" SSD, with 6gb
/ partition (/home is separate).

Besides removing packages, I also found this useful:

1. remove /usr/share/docs
2. remove /usr/share/locale/* (all except en and en_US)
3. cleanup /var/log/journal, which seems it's not automatically rotated

While this saves space, it also results in package upgrade warnings due to
missing files.

Are there any other disk space saving tips?

What do you think about excluding docs by default in Fedora packages?
And for docs either go online, or have a command to install/sync docs for
all installed packages? (similar to ruby or npm packages install, not using
rpm packages)

I think less than 0.1% of users ever look into /usr/share/doc, but I don't
have any data to back this up.
As more folks switch to SSDs, it would benefit both for disk space saving
and wearing to have less space occupied by default.

Thanks