F21 System Wide Change: Mono 3.4

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 10:42:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 04/08/2014 01:44 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > = Proposed System Wide Change:  Mono 3.4 =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mono_3.4
> >
> > Change owner(s): Claudio Rodrigo Pereyra Diaz
> > <elsupergomez at fedoraproject.org>
> >
> > Update the Mono stack in Fedora from 2.10 to 3.4
> >
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > Support for Mono versions 3.0 and 2.10 is been discontinued. No further
> > development of bug fixing is planned for those branches. Mono 3.4 is the
> > active branch an have many improvements . See upstream notes [1]
> >
> > == Scope ==
> > * Proposal owners: Update mono spec and build in koji until is ready.
> > * Other developers:  Some packages may need to be revised, updated or
> > rebuilt,
> > see Dependencies section
> > * Release engineering: None
> > * Policies and guidelines: None
>
> While I very much appreciate the effort to bring the Mono stack up to
> date, I don't think these kinds of major updates work very well when one
> person updates the core compiler / libraries, and leaves the rest up to
> the chance.
>
> What else is needed? Does the rest of the mono stack need rebuilds? If
> yes, the person driving this should be a provenpackager and perform the
> rebuilds.
>
> Does this update drop support for older .NET profiles that apps might
> rely on? If yes, then other apps need coordinated updates as well.
>
> Has this been discussed this with chkr / spot, who have done mono
> updates previously?
>
> Also, I'd like to point out that elsupergomez is not yet a packager nor
> a provenpackager and getting the latter in particular can take time. I
> would suggest to reach out to chkr and spot and see if they are
> interested in helping out with this and new packager guidance.

I raided the same question in a private conversation and he's trying to
reach original maintainers. I agree it's a lot of work ahead of him in
case the agreement will be made and Change accepted by FESCo. But from
my experience, many of people who came to Fedora, proposed change,
without any experience in the end were one of the top contributors,
proud they were able to contribute etc. So yes, FESCo should take it
into consideration but I'd like to avoid situation when this Change
will be banned solely on "not a maintainer".

Jaroslav