trimming down Fedora installed size

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 9 12:39:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 07:50:37AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > I would say in the long run we should be working towards creating
> > separated locale,doc,man packages
> Hmm, I wonder if RPM 4.12 would allow us to do this with weak
> dependencies?
> Perhaps something like having a metapackage on the system for docs and
> one for each language. Then we could break up the doc and language
> packages into sub-packages that are installed conditionally on the
> presence of that metapackage on the system.
> Of course, I think there would still be work needed in RPM to support
> adding a language later, but maybe we could solve that with special
> tooling or a yum plugin.

+1 to all of this. Needs:

  * rpm macros, possibly other RPM work
  * packaging guidelines
  * yum/dnf tooling
  * a plan for realistically getting from where we are now to where we
    want to be
  * executing on that plan

Cloud SIG has a lot of interest in this and we may be able to find some
contributors to the effort there.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Use_license_macro_in_RPMs_for_packages_in_Cloud_Image

could be a model (and is in fact a prerequisite).

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"