trimming down Fedora installed size

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 9 13:25:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 10:33:25AM +0300, Marius A wrote:
> I've been struggling keeping a fedora 20 install on a "small" SSD, with 6gb
> / partition (/home is separate).

This part of conversation probably belongs on the user list rather than
devel. But there are some development-related aspects (see rest of thread)
and while we're at it, I have some constructive practical points as well.

> 2. remove /usr/share/locale/* (all except en and en_US)

Also do

localedef --delete-from-archive $(localedef --list-archive | grep -v -i ^$LANG | xargs)

mv /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive  /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive.tmpl

build-locale-archive

> 3. cleanup /var/log/journal, which seems it's not automatically rotated

It actually _is_ automatically rotated. See /etc/systemd/journald.conf and
`man journald.conf`. Particularly, look at SystemMaxUse, SystemKeepFree, and
MaxRetentionSec.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"