trimming down Fedora installed size

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Apr 9 14:31:55 UTC 2014

On 04/09/2014 03:53 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> Having said that, I am all for saving space on a default install and/or
> making a more minimal install possible.  I noticed just now that
> manpages are compressed, but with gz.  I am sure this discussion has
> already happened, but maybe we can have an alternative man-xz format
> that will reduce the size of the individual packages for a Fedora
> Minimal or somesuch (I think manpages should be very, very far down on
> the list of what to be left out from an install, as they are sometimes
> the last resort on what to do).

SUSE once (> 10 years ago) had used *.bz2-compressed manpages, but for a
while they also have returned to *.gz.

I don't know why they did so, but I'd guess it simply doesn't pay-off
size-wise and introduced too much of a penalty speed-wise.

So, I'd question the usefulness of not installing man-pages, because
their sizes are comparatively small on today's disk-scales, e.g. on my
primary system:
# du -sh /usr/share/man
89M	/usr/share/man

That's almost neglibile in comparision to the overall size of the
installation.

Ralf