trimming down Fedora installed size

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 15:35:17 UTC 2014

> This construct would be extremely valuable to the SSSD as well:
>
> %package -n client
> Recommends: sssd-client.i686 if glibc.i686

That's not exactly by accident...

> It's pretty easy to install a language at package-install time, but in
> order to add the language subpackages for all installed packages on
> the system if the new langsupport package comes in will mean
> re-processing all of the dependencies on the installed packages.
> Probably very slow, but certainly valuable.

Well, there is a reason why Fedora is moving to a new dependency solver.
I am pretty optimistic about performance.

>> The plan is to get all pieces for 1) into F21. So it could already
>> be used for F22. I will try to get 2) ready in this time frame,
>> too, but the bets are still open.
>
> This would be fantastic, now we just need the FPC to agree. Might be
> worth filing an FPC bug or two now for them to debate before pushing
> too hard here.

For now there is just https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.12

I will talk to the FPC as soon as the parts are all in place. Be aware
that it is not enough to just implement the stuff. It needs to be tested
and to make its way to the builders. Even with a hurry things need quite
some time in RPM land.

Florian