trimming down Fedora installed size

"J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:54:41 UTC 2014

On 04/09/2014 04:14 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> C'mon, we have packages whose install-sizes are measured in 10ths and
> 100s of MBs ... and we have other dirs which can easily grow beyond
> any limits.

I was refering to it being in the eye of the beholder so to speak but as
I see it we need to start working towards shrinking the core/base of the
distribution to the size of posted stamp compare to the bloat we are
now, to keep us agile enough and relevant for the next generation of
tinkerers "embedded" as well as to be able to serve the cloud and
container market.

In doing so we need to fix dependency and drop or make it optional to
add or remove various components ( agile ) as well as the legacy cruff
which everybody hold so dear to, in the process.

copr presents us with the ability to mapping out and make such drastic
changes without having to cause disruption to Fedora in general and
people work flows until things have been properly fixed and prepared to
do so.

Something we did not have when we decide to replace the distribution
init system.

JBG