trimming down Fedora installed size

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 20:05:38 UTC 2014

I would like to see logic like this:
manpage files don't get installed unless/until:
1) packagename-manpages is requested to be installed by the user.  that
package would require the 'man' package.
OR
2) package is installed AND man is installed.

Don't wan't the manpages taking up disk space?  remove the 'man' package
and all manpages disappear.
Don't use en_US and don't want to waste space on that either, remove the
'localization-en_US' package and its corresponding localizations of all
installed packages will dispapear too.

Localization could work the same way.  Once a package' localization cruft
is large enough to merit the work, the packager would split it out into
${packagename}-en_US packages for each localization.  Distro would maintain
an essentially empty package called localization-en_US, etc for each
localization.  Then when you install a localized package, you get
${packagename}-en_US localization-en_us installed, and if you have more
than one localization package installed, you get the corresponding
localized subpackages of ${package}.