[CHANGE PROPOSAL] The securetty file is empty by default

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 9 21:50:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:39:19PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> To clarify this: while I believe dropping securetty from the default PAM
> config is the right thing to do, I am not vulunteering to do it. But I'd
> love to see somebody to pick this up!

I looked, and I think this is just a change in util-linux package (not the
source even; the pam files are packaged as separate sources) + a note in the
release notes. It's not referenced in authconfig or anything.

I guess maybe we'd also want to remove /etc/securetty to reduce confusion
(since the normal semantics are that missing file = nothing blocked), that's
in setup.

But otherwise, I think it just comes down to filing an RFE and getting the
util-linux maintainer on board. Probably best after this change proposal
gets to FESCo — at that point, I'll put this forward as a counter-proposal.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"