rotated /var/log/journal (was Re: trimming down Fedora installed size)

Marius A marius1439 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 07:50:49 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/2014 09:33 AM, Marius A wrote:
> > 3. cleanup /var/log/journal, which seems it's not automatically rotated
>
> It's supposed to be automatic. How big did it become on your system?

600mb. Now in April I still had files from January.
Looks about right according to man page:
The first pair defaults to 10% and the second to 15% of the size of the
respective file system.

> If the default size limits do not suit you, you can change them in
> /etc/systemd/journald.conf.

Got it, I'll use that in the future. Thanks!

Would be good to have a sample entry in man page with
 SystemMaxUse=, SystemKeepFree=,
I cannot tell if it's bytes, mb, or percentage of file system size. Google
answered that (e.g. 50M)

Marius