F21 System Wide Change: (A)Periodic Updates to Images

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 14:19:37 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change: (A)Periodic Updates to Images =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/%28A%29Periodic_Updates_to_Images

Change owner(s): Cloud WG collectively, with Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> as point of contact
Responsible WG: Cloud

We want to be able to release updated images not just at release time. Hope
for a one-month regular cadence, plus emergency updates if needed.

== Detailed Description ==
We need to be able to produce official updates to the Fedora Cloud images.
Initially, we plan to release these updates monthly, but also need the ability
to release an out-of-cycle update in the event of a severe security issue.

This involves:

   1. policy for level of security issue required for out-of-cycle updates
   2. procedure for notification of security updates in images (as with rpm
updates)
   3. automated QA (at least smoketests)
   4. documentation of QA expectations
   5. release engineering process
   6. mirroring of updated images
   7. updates to web site for new download links and EC2 AMI IDs.

Note that this will apply to the Cloud Base Image, the Docker Host Image, the
Big Data Image, and the Docker Container Base Image. (The latter may need
separate handling.)

Ultimately, we would like to produce updates whenever a package on the image
or the kickstart file for the image changes. This is a step towards that goal.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Create policies and procedures as outlined above. Will also
assist with changes to release engineering.
* Other developers: Contributions welcome!
* Release engineering: Significant impact, obviously. Cloud WG will interact
heavily with Release Engineering and work in concert.
* Policies and guidelines: No changes to existing policies.