trimming down Fedora installed size

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 10 14:28:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 23:10 +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 04/09/2014 08:42 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Given the number of packages that ship localization, this seems like it
> > would have a pretty dramatic effect on metadata size. Is this a concern?
>
> Meta data is a concern. But the major part of the meta data is file data
> and change logs. Everything else is less than 10%. So doubling or even
> tripling this part won't hurt.

 I'm not sure what you mean by 10% here, but tripling primary would hurt
a lot. Eg. for Fedora 18/updates we have:

404K comps-f18.xml.gz
 17M filelists.sqlite.bz2
6.2M other.sqlite.bz2
780K pkgtags.sqlite.gz
2.7M prestodelta.xml.gz
 12M primary.sqlite.bz2
1.2M updateinfo.xml.gz

...and downloading ~15M does matter, so while compression helps and we
are already in a lot of pain ... more pain is more pain. Also this
locally turns into:

  86M filelists_db.sqlite
  34M other_db.sqlite
 1.8M pkgtags.sqlite
  13M prestodelta.xml
  51M primary_db.sqlite
  13M updateinfo.xml

...and randomly using 80+MB of extra disk space is also painful in some
use cases.

 Not that I assume splitting lanauges and docs. into sub packages would
triple primary numbers, but if it did ... that would be bad.