trimming down Fedora installed size

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 17:13:42 UTC 2014

On 10/04/14 17:05, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> James Antill (james at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>   Not that I assume splitting lanauges and docs. into sub packages would
>> triple primary numbers, but if it did ... that would be bad.
>
> To put it in perspective, if we split out 'langpacks' for apps per language,
> something like gedit then grows *100* new subpackages.
>
> Bill

It's a shame we can't store .mo files compressed. The ratio seems quite
good:

[root at phanto ~]# cd /usr/share
[root at phanto share]# cp -r locale locale-compressed
[root at phanto share]# find locale-compressed -type f -name '*.mo' -exec
bzip2 --best {} \;
[root at phanto share]# du -sh locale locale-compressed
657M	locale
245M	locale-compressed

(NB this isn't a newly installed system.)

Andy