fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:05:38 UTC 2014

> On Fri, 11.04.14 14:41, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2014 02:34 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> Within the systemd project we have been working on a scheme we call
>>> "factory" where packages can drop in static descriptions in /usr/lib of
>>> stuff they need in /etc and /var to work properly. The idea is to then
>>> use this information automatically at boot if systemd finds /etc and
>>> /var empty to populate them.
>> I dont think /etc the right place to be used here based on the
>> evolution taking place so suggest containers should source that from
>> elsewhere.
> I cannot parse this?

/etc is "administrator space" and evolving into "administrator only
space" which means eventually nothing will be placing or flushing or
populating there  other then the administrators themselves.

In other words if containers have to "populate" /etc they are doing it
wrong hence the overall design is wrong

JBG