fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

"J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:05:31 UTC 2014

> For me the "factory" systemd stuff is actually very much about
> containers. It's actually kinda my primary goal here: I want to allow
> deployment of a single /usr in a thousnad containers, so that each
> container's /etc and /var is automatically populated on boot, without
> any manual interference of the admin.

The problem here is /etc

> The same scheme is also useful on embedded and desktop/tablet/phone
> setups though where we really want a "factory reset" scheme, the same
> way as Android has it.

Yes but you seem to be equalling system/application defaults and
system/application written overwrites or configuration changes to those
configuration changes and overwrites performed by the user/administrator
which is not the same thing, so while you could flush the
system/application default settings and application written overwrites
regardless if it's due to "factory reset" or due to them being upgrade
to a new release you cannot do so with user/administrator overwrites
because they want to retain their own settings after they flushed or
upgrade the device or container so an single directory that serves both
this purposes cannot exist and an new directory which clearly splits the
purpose both of these is bound to emerge as things evolve further.

JGB