fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Apr 11 17:19:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, 11.04.14 19:05, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:

> There is broad agreement that future access to the user database database
> (both reading and writing) will be through sssd[1], and that the data model
> of /etc/{passwd,shadow} is too restrictive--we already want/need to store
> more data about users than those files allow us to.  (E.g. language for
> physical persons, better namespaces and more accurate password expiration
> for all accounts.)

Uhmm, is there "broad agreement"? I beg to differ... I really don't see
sssd inside of OS containers. Sorry.

I also don't see sssd covering cases where /var is not around and where
we can "disconnected" updates, the way Colin suggests.

I also didn't see sssd in control of system users at all, but merely of
normal users.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat