default local DNS caching name server

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sat Apr 12 15:05:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014, Reindl Harald wrote:

> nonsense - there are so much ISP nameservers broken out there
> responding with wildcards and so on that you can not trust them
> and you will realize that if not before after you started to run
> a production mailserver which relies on NXDOMAIN responses for
> proper operations

That's not what the http://atlas.ripe.net/ data set indicates. Your
story seems anecdotal and incidental.

Yes, there are a few bad players out there (like Rogers in Canada) but
those are in a minority. That said, I agree that using unbound on your
servers will reduce upstream DNS outage problems on your servers. I
wouldn't run unbound on every VM though.

Paul