default local DNS caching name server

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 04:52:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-12 16:12 (GMT-0400) Simo Sorce composed:

> On Sat, 2014-04-12 at 13:11 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> > That is the trick currently used by dnssec-triggerd to prevent other
>> > applications from messing with that file.

>> I've been doing that myself for years on installations that think my
>> ethernet-only non-wireless LAN host connections need "managing" by
>> NetworkManager, Resolvconf, Wicked or anything else that came along to
>> automagically mis-configure it.

> So you've gone out of your way to run a daemon but prevent it from
> working as configured, instead of just reconfiguring it to do what you
> need.

What daemon did I go out of my way to run?

> I have Network Manager and it is extremely simple to configure it to
> keep fixed DNS Servers as well as have static addresses for ethernet
> interfaces.

Simple without X running, where I normally perform my elementary
configuration chores in an OFM? When I install, I install minimal, so there
is no X available to tweak the installer's defaults.

> I find that today, except extremely rare case, all that people that
> complain about network management tools interfering are people that
> never tried or tried once *years* ago and never checked again.

Maybe so, but then some of us don't need our networks "managed", only just
configured at installation time, after which they are left untouched for the
remaining lifetime of the installation.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/