default local DNS caching name server

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Sun Apr 13 18:04:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 18:18 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 04:12:41PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > So you've gone out of your way to run a daemon but prevent it from
> > working as configured, instead of just reconfiguring it to do what you
> > need.
>
> I have to go out of my way to *stop* NetworkManager from running and
> to configure a fixed IP address.

Oh come on ...

> > I have Network Manager and it is extremely simple to configure it to
> > keep fixed DNS Servers as well as have static addresses for ethernet
> > interfaces.
>
> Unfortunately NetworkManager can't handle brief network outages
> without dropping the connection (RHBZ#1022954 comment 3).  This isn't
> desirable for servers that have ethernet and fixed IP addresses.

Let's try to be constructive here, this is a bug, I remember
distinctively discussing delaying dropping ip/interfaces when the link
goes down for brief moemnts, and I know that works.

Also this is bug is about dhcp interfaces, not statically configured
ones, and it is a bug, not intended behavior, also difficult to
reproduce.

I am not here to proselitize you on the use of NM, but let's not be
extreme, NM has greatly improved and keep improving at every release,m
and for a lot of users it's really the only *decent* option, I am a bit
annoyed by constant, gratuitous and useless 'attacks' to it, and I am
not even a NM developer and never even contributed to the project with
patches (yet).

You don't like it, fine, but let's not come up with the old trite
anecdata every time someone mentions NM, it's not useful and derails the
conversation to useless bikeshedding.

I'd rather go back to the topic: default local DNS caching name server.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York