appdata handling

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:44:29 UTC 2014

On 13 April 2014 13:21, Markus Mayer <lotharlutz at gmx.de> wrote:
> What I'm interested in is:
> - Directory, Name, ownership and permissions for appdata.xml files

Just the default permissions and groups are required, no special handling.

> - %post/%postun scriptlets (if needed)

Nope, none.

> - If appdata-validate must be run during package build

This is up to you as the packager. I would say it's a really good
idea, but it depends if you want to deal with upstream not playing by
the rules. There are already some upstreams doing things like
<screenshot></screenshot> which until recently tripped up the metadata
extractor.

> - How long does it take that the new appdata is propagated to gnome-software

I do new builds nearly every day, but the builds that are shipped in
gnome-software and pushed to users is usually updated every month or
so.

> As a side note: build.log contains the following error:
> error: Couldn't exec /usr/lib/rpm/appdata.prov: No such file or directory

Doesn't exist on my system either, so no idea, sorry.

Richard.