F21 System Wide Change: SCL

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 12:13:24 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change: SCL =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SCL

Change owner(s): Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com>

SCL - Software Collections - are popular packaging format above rpm. Let's
enable them for Fedora. More details on upstream page [1].

== Detailed Description ==
My first draft [2] is obsoleted by current state of SCL, Copr... I would keep
the SCL workflow simple as possible.

Playground repo

1. Build SCL in Copr
2. Add SCL into Playground repo

Fedora main repo

0. Build SCL in Copr (or use existing SCL)
1. Do standard package review
2. Upload packages into git - specific branch based on Fedora version and name
of collection. For stable repo we must be able to replicate builds from git
repo, which Fedora own.
3. Build SCL in koji or magically add SCL builds from Copr (depends on
preference of releng)

SCL living on Copr can be good candidates for inclusion in Fedora. Maintainer
of such SCL must be able create Change proposal for his collection. Review of
packages in the collection should depend on repository (Playground - almost no
rules, Fedora - standard guidelines).

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
0. Approve SCL guidelines by FPC
1. Include one collection into Fedora Playground repository or into main
Fedora repository (probably the one wanted by Cloud WG). It might be this one
rebuild for Fedora [3]. Updates of some gems or addition of other gems might
be needed. Review by Cloud projects is needed.

* Other developers: If SCL is in Fedora, maybe some other project can use it
for their work.

* Release engineering: Magically add SCLs builds into compose or set up koji
for SCLs.

* Policies and guidelines:
        https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/339
        https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/SCL_Guidelines_%28draft%29