F21 System Wide Change: Use license macro in RPMs for packages in Cloud Image

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 15:13:33 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change:  Use license macro in RPMs for packages in
Cloud Image =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Use_license_macro_in_RPMs_for_packages_in_Cloud_Image

Change owner(s): Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject>, Tom Callaway <spot
at fedoraproject>

Use new %license macro to separate license files from documentation, so the
latter can be excluded from container images without stripping license
information which must be included.

== Detailed Description ==
Background:
1. Right now, license files are required to be marked as %doc files.
2. There has long been a "nodocs" parameter to RPM which skips all doc files.
3. In addition to the desired space-savings, this installs packages without
their possibly-mandatory license files

This interaction hasn't been problematic before, because generally using
nodocs is an endpoint choice with no distribution after that. But now, we are
looking at building some official cloud and container images with nodocs, so
it suddenly becomes important.

As a bonus, in the future, %license may handle automatic hardlinking of
identical license files.

Specifically, I propose:
1. We change the guidelines
2. We start doing it for new packages
3. We file a F21 system-wide change (that is, this change) for a proven
packager to change all the packages that land in the cloud image for F21
(roughly, @core + dependencies plus a few extras)
4. We may file a similar change for other packages in the base design for F22,
but the work/reward ratio is much lower.
5. It may also be valuable to focus on a few key packages commonly used in
Docker images (like httpd)
6. Other packages updated on a as-time-permits/best-effort basis.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Update guidelines. Identify target packages. Tom will use
provenpackager to make changes to spec files.
* Other developers: Be aware of possible provenpackager changes. Update other
packages on best-effort basis if interested.
* Release engineering: none
* Policies and guidelines: Yes; packaging guidelines change. See [1]

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/411