F21 System Wide Change: Ruby193 in SCL

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 00:07:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Rails depends on exact v8
> version, which means v8 3.14 must have also their own SCL as part of the SCL.

Stupid question: what in rails depends on v8 exactly?

The only thing that Requires v8 in Fedora besides nodejs and mongodb
is rubygem-therubyracer, and that FTBFS for the F20 mass rebuild and
my recent v8/libicu mini-mass rebuild:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=14305

I'm in touch with someone from IBM to get PPC support for v8/nodejs
(which means no more random failures when nodejs packages get sent to
EPEL PPC builders, yay!), which requires finally switching to gyp from
scons (which has been deprecated for years now), and so far I've been
ignoring ruby in my preliminary work [1] on this since it has been
broken for other reasons.

If you're going to continue to need rubygem-therubyracer, please fix
it so I can make sure we don't break it.  (Or at least rebuild it when
the time comes.  It probably still works in F20 since nothing changed
v8-wise since F18, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely
busted in rawhide right now.)

Thanks,
-T.C.

[1] http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/patches/v8-gyp/