F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 09:01:51 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Workstation_Disable_Firewall

Change owner(s): Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>

The firewalld service will not be enabled by default in the workstation
product.

== Detailed Description ==
The current level of integration into the desktop and applications does not
justify enabling the firewalld service by default. Additionally, the set of
zones that we currently expose is excessive and not user-friendly. Therefore,
we will disable the firewall service while we are working on a more user-
friendly way to deal with network-related privacy issues.

It will of course still be possible to enable the firewall manually.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners/Other developers: Add a Workstation-specific service
configuration (preset ?) to the firewalld package that disables firewalld for
the Workstation product
* Release engineering: No action required
* Policies and guidelines: No action required