F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 14:37:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 10:28 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> [...]

There is plenty of prior art here.

What you need is clearly different "zones" that the user can configure
and associate to networks, with the default being that you trust nothing
and everything is firewalled when you roam a new network.

firewalld should grow a NetworkManager plugin so that configuration can
be changed on the fly based on which network NM tells firewalld a
specific interface is connected to.

Applications need to be prevented from being able to arbitrarily open
ports, that should be allowed only for a "trusted" zone. User
intervention should be needed to mark a zone as trusted, in all other
zones the user will have to select explicitly what applications are
allowed.

So the big work here is in the UI you need to build to present these
configurations to the user.

Until then you can present a very simplified UI that just has a big
button/switch that turns everything from "untrusted" to "trusted", with
the default being "untrusted" of course.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York