F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Apr 15 20:27:11 UTC 2014

Am 15.04.2014 22:19, schrieb Andreas Tunek:

>>> If you look here it says you only have to disable firewalld:
>>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=296398
>>>
>>> Do you actually have to disable iptables as well?
>>
>> what are you doing in that thread?
>
> That thread was the second result from the google search you made a
> link to. I assume you posted that link for a reason.

this is a development list, i posted that link because normally
someone types "Fedora disable firewall" in Google, my question
was more meant why do you discuss on a technical list inside
security related topic if you miss basics

>> if you don't know how to disable a service you have not
>> any qualification to discuss here about security and that
>> words are as friendly chosen as possible!
>>
>> type the two commands i posted and be happy
>
> I am more happy when I learn about how stuff actually works.

fine *but* that thread is *not* the right place

i even go so far to say you do *not* need nor *should*
you disable your firewall, you should learn how to
open ports and which one you are *really* need to
be opened instead throw away any security barrier
beause it is so much easier not close the door and
hope after coming home your TV is still there

>> i don't know if oyu are using the classic iptables service or
>> firewalld nor am i interested and so i told you a command to
>> disable and stop both  - no idea why you need to answer with
>> a forum thread which i don't care at all
>
> If you are not interested you can just ignore posts

that's not the point

the point is that you discuss in a security related topic
while your problem is far off-topic

> But anyway, wasn't it quite clear that I am running
> the default Fedora 20 setup?

no, there is nothing quite clear because we talk about a
linux system which may have seen dist-upgrades from times
before firewalld even existed (like all my systems) or
highly customized and *because* of that i posted a command
to disable *both* possibilities *additionally* to show how
find such informations at your own