F21 Self Contained Change: Remote Journal Logging

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Apr 16 16:15:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39:07AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Zbigniew =?utf-8?Q?J=C4=99drzejewski-Szmek?= <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> writes:
>
> > [...]  Using HTTP makes it possible to use e.g. use curl to upload
> > some logs from the commandline. It should also be fairly easy for
> > people to write e.g. Python code to upload logs. [...]
>
> Are you envisioning these journal files being created by anything
> other than systemd?  If not, are these python/curl/etc. clients
> just substitutes for journald neglecting to upload its files earlier?
I'm not sure what you mean by "neglecting". It is *not* supposed to be
a workaround for a malfunction where systemd-journal-upload
e.g. crashed and did not upload some logs; that case should be handled
by the (automatic) restart and systemd-journal-upload continuing at
the last known uploaded place.

What I had in mind is e.g. some custom filter / log-mangling software,
which would upload a subset/superset of logs.

Zbyszek