F21 Self Contained Change: Remote Journal Logging

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Apr 16 20:25:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:46:15PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) said:

> > > What's the future of gatewayd if this becomes more widely used?
> >
> > gatewayd works in pull mode. Here I'm proposing a push model, where the
> > "client" (i.e. machine generating the logs) pushes logs to the server
> > at the time of its own chosing. gatewayd is probably better for some use
> > cases, this for others.
>
> I understand the pull vs push distinction ... I'm just not clear why pull
> would ever be a model you'd want to use. (vs something like a local cockpit
> agent.)
Push mode feels more useful to me too, but there's some rationale for
the pull mode. It leaves the schedule/speed/format in the control of
the puller. So e.g. if there's just one "client" gathering logs from
thousands of "servers", it might be overwhelmed in push mode, but work
fine in pull mode.

Zbyszek