F21 System Wide Change: Smaller Cloud Image Footprint

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Apr 16 23:24:50 UTC 2014

> > > ** Replace NetworkManager, etc. with systemd-networkd.
> <snip>
> Also, I know you know this but just as a general clarification: the cloud
> image isn't currently using NetworkManager anyway but is using the good ol'
> network initscripts.

I don't think we can, or should, have three separate network configuration
systems in Fedora at the same time.  We already know how long and painful
the migration to NetworkManager has been—and AFAICS networkd doesn't
support any of the icfg-* files, unlike NetworkManager, so it would mean a
*more* painful migration.

Also see the recent caching DNS / DNSSEC discussions, which effectively
move the DNS resolver configuration away from /etc/resolv.conf to a
NetworkManager API.

With what I know so far, this would only make sense to me if the Cloud
images were explicitly designed to run in a very specific network
environment (say, everything via DHCP, no VPNs, no IPSec, no bridges,
nothing else), and telling both users and application developers not to
touch the configuration in any way.
     Mirek