F21 System Wide Change: Smaller Cloud Image Footprint

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Apr 17 20:30:48 UTC 2014

>> used by
>> status of
>> > Is NetworkManager already at the *100% complete* feature parity that
>> would
>> > make this possible?  (Keeping in mind that "possible" and "a good idea"
>> are
>> > still not the same...)
>>
>> I don't think I accept your premise here. 100% (possibly spread between
>> networkd and NetworkManager) would be necessary for dropping initscripts
>> completely, but that's not being proposed.
>>

> You were arguing that we would be going from 2 used + 1 unused systems to
> a different set of 2 used + 1 unused; for that to happen, users of
> initscripts must have somewhere to migrate to.

Writing too fast... you were actually arguing for a situation "2 used by
default + 1 used but not used by default" I think.  In that case your
argument is right but it's my turn to not accept your premise :)  networkd
was introduced in systemd-209, and F20 ships with -208,  I.e. it has never
shipped in a Fedora release, so it is not "1 used but not used by default";
it's entirely new to Fedora *in F21*.
   Mirek