F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Apr 17 21:44:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

We don't, actually.  *Only* applications running in a session of a member
of the wheel group would have that right, and those applications are pretty
much root-equivalent anyway.  (Many GNOME users probably use such a setup,
but it's not at all the only one possible.)

The thread discussing this ended up with mostly being a discussion if the
> firewall would be a useful way to help users from accidentally
> oversharing on a public network. Which is important and something we want
> to work on, but a lot less so than security issues.

"Oversharing on a public network" *absolutely is a security issue*.
Heartbleed is exactly that, "oversharing" and nothing more!
     Mirek